judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Review: Assertiveness for Earth Angels (How to be loving without being "too nice")

In the similar, fairly simple, style that characterises her oracle cards, Doreen Virtue’s ASSERTIVENESS FOR EARTH ANGELS is easy to understand, positive and inspiring.

Although the terminology may at times border on the sentimental, this book is probably one of the best examples of teaching in action that I’ve read. At times gently firm, at all times positive and encouraging, Virtue’s approach to assertiveness was refreshing and informative.

Virtue teaches us that there is a middle path between being a doormat or aggressive when walking the path between worrying about other people’s feelings and protecting our own sensitive feelings: assertiveness. One does not have to avoid conflict or meet it with aggression, one can stay true to the value of kindness, but can face conflict head-on in a gentle, polite way, which shows compassion for the issues the other person must be experiencing while keeping our own boundaries healthy.

This book is not just abstract ideas: it also contains some down-to-earth (!) and practical advice that is easy to put into practice. The sections with advice on handling toxic relationships without descending into a negative mind-set is invaluable, and helped me come to terms with some clearing out of old, toxic relationships/friendships that I struggled with over the past few years.

Other sections include how to gain more energy through using assertiveness techniques to avoid having one’s energy levels drained by toxic relationships and how to find meaning in one’s life in a positive, assertive way.

If one is a pacifist who is exhausted by all the demands on one’s compassion by more aggressive personalities, ASSERTIVENESS FOR EARTH ANGELS is well worth the read.