judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Reservation Road - John Burnham Schwartz Stylish, emotionally intense book. Easy to read and captivating, I found myself drawn to the tragic “villain” Dwight. It's always a sign of excellent characterisation when one finds oneself empathising against one's better judgment with the "bad guy". All characters – even the dog Sallie – were well drawn. I cared about, or at least recognised, every character.

Lyrical language such as “the sky was faltering” added to the atmosphere of a gathering storm. There was not a wasted word in this book; every word was packed with emotion. The inexorable spiral of events spinning out of control for each of the characters had me reading faster than I could turn the pages.

The ending was slightly abrupt; it could have been fleshed out without losing any of its impact and providing a more permanent sense of order restored. Plot was straightforward, but fast paced, with interesting connections that added to the tension.

A compelling and, at times, deeply haunting read.