judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)

Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) - J.R. Ward I dislike the gratuitous violence in the Black Dagger series. I dislike the coarse language. But Ward is such a brilliant writer I can't stop buying this series. Her characterisations and understanding of human (er, should that be vampire?) relationships is moving and intense. Tohr's struggle with his grief, No One's blossoming, John & Xhex's struggle to compromise...all these and more kept me glued to the 592 pages this book contains. This is Book 10 in the series, and that Ward is sustaining the tension and intensity of the characters and plot is a remarkable feat. There were parts in this book where I cried - no, sobbed! - aloud because it was the only way I could deal with the raw emotion of the story.

Because of it's complexity, to review LOVER REBORN in detail without spoilers is nearly impossible. Instead, I'll share my three favourite lines from the book:

"...though her anger was an easy emotion to feel in the face of his unjust accusation, understanding and compassion were the harder, more valuable stances to take…" (Kindle location 2335)

"There came a time in everyone’s life when they realized that in spite of how hard they’d been running from themselves, everywhere they went, there they were: Addictions and compulsions were nothing but marching bands of distraction, masking truths that were unpleasant, but ultimately undeniable..." (Kindle location 10847)

"When you were young, you thought time was a burden, something to be discharged as fast as possible so you could be grown-up. But it was such a bait-n-switch—when you were an adult, you came to realize that minutes and hours were the single most precious thing you had..." (Kindle location 11853)

No wonder this book rates a very good 5 stars!