judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Book Review: Duck, Death and the Tulip by Wolf Erlbruch

Duck, Death and the Tulip - Wolf Erlbruch, Wolf Erlbruch, Penelope Todd, Catherine Chidgey

A sweet, simple and sad story about death. The drawings add depth to the text, which became quite poignant towards the end. From the moment Duck became aware of Death's hovering presence, their inevitable relationship deepened into friendship. In the drawings, Death's gifts Duck with a tulip - but the text makes the assumption that the reader will know the significance. Perhaps that was deliberate - ultimately death cannot be fully known, only guessed at.

While I enjoyed the book, especially the smiling, skull-faced Death and the quaintly appealing Duck, I was left feeling only sadness, where a similar book "Cry, Heart, But Never Break" uplifted me despite the poignancy.