judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Review: OLD BEGINNINGS (BOOK 1 The Slayers) Alix Marsh

Old Beginnings (The Forgotten Slayer Book 1) - Alix Marsh

After a traumatic month I've been struggling to concentrate on reading so thought I'd try something different (for me) I was drawn to this book by the cover - sort of scary and relaxed at the same time. OLD BEGINNINGS is the first book in a middle grade series that tells the story of a young boy called Flynn Heath who, after a scary experience involving lightening and a strange old man with a beautiful dagger, finds himself enrolled in a new school ... for demon slayers!

The author has captured the essence of teens - smart, savvy and a mix of strength and vulnerability. I was easily drawn back to that feeling of being excited about a whole new world opening up, and yet kind of nervous about it too! Dialogue is snappy and sharp, and adds to the feeling of excitement.

A fast paced read, OLD BEGINNINGS is the first book in a series, which is the only issue I had - I prefer books that complete a story in one book. However, this book can be read as a stand alone and the interplay between Flynn and his "normal life" friends, Rose & Toby, and the friendship bonds he forms with the new "slayer" friends, Jack & Ice, at the Victor Grey Academy were very well drawn.

There's touches of lovely humour (I just loved Mr Rook & Mr Bishop!) and all in all it was an entertaining read, with some thought-provoking points raised (trying to force Jason to become a slayer when he didn't think demons were all bad - this makes one think about our own prejudices) I'm looking forward to Book 2 so I can see where the school house rivalry develops, how the slayers each grow and what Flynn's slayer ancestry is.