judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

The Light Between Oceans - M L Stedman A lot has been written about this book - for those who haven't heard of it, it's the story of Tom, returning from the Somme and the horrors of WW1, who finds solace in lighthouse keeping and Isabel's love. But he can't give her the child she desperately wants, until one day a miracle occurs for Isabel...but to let her keep her miracle Tom has to make a decision that compromises his integrity. The story traces the effects of that decision.

If I could, I'd give this book ten stars, it's that good. It's been a long while since I last read a novel that moves me as much as THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS did. The author keeps you on the edge of intense emotion with skilful prose, stunning descriptions, profound insights and intense characterisations. I haven't cried as much in a novel for years, but this was so moving and in such a real way, that I couldn't stop myself. (I read it on holiday and my husband, concerned after hours of my sniffling, quietly asked, 'Are you alright? Should you carry on reading?' 'Yes!' I sniffed, 'I'm LOVING it!')

This is the first book that has brought me back to fiction reading with a magic that is indescribable. The last time I felt this while reading - a book with that "something special' - was when I read [b:The Boy in the Striped Pajamas|39999|The Boy in the Striped Pajamas|John Boyne|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1366228171s/39999.jpg|1148702]. THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS defies a rational logical review. It's brilliantly written, the words sing and the story is marvellous. All I can say is - read it!