judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Through the Gates of Death

Through the Gates of Death - Dion Fortune An odd mix of profound wisdom and debatable ideas, I rated this book four stars instead of three because, in this year of death and dying my family is experiencing, Dion Fortune’s exposition on what happens after a person dies brought me comfort and a sense of peace. The unknown is frightening; having some idea of what is to come or what happened to a loved one’s soul at the time of their death is reassuring.

What I liked least about the book was Fortune’s rather dictatorial style and “tough love” advice for departed souls, as well as a strong emphasis on the Christian faith. But she died in 1946, and is a soul of a different era, when life itself was a harsh struggle.

One needs to read this book with a willingness to look beyond the limitations of the era in which it was written. Then it’s possible to draw on the universal perceptions around the process of death and dying that make this book worth reading.