judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

The Lady's Fate - Anne  Gallagher After reading some gruesome non-fiction books about child murders, I needed a light and entertaining read to lift my spirits. As always, I found it in the pages of a romance novel. Regency romances are one of my favourite genres, and THE LADY’S FATE didn’t disappoint.

A gentle book, there are some dark overtones (the villainous Lady Baxter and the mean Lady Rose Flowers) and the main characters (the wealthy and attractive Marquess of Haverlane & shy, impoverished Lady Violet Flowers) weren’t perfect by any means. But love, as always, finds a way!

Slowly Haverlane’s morose spirits are lifted by Violet’s quiet abilities and Violet’s heart is engaged, firstly by Haverlane’s adorable daughter Jane and then by Haverlane himself.

I lean towards hot & steamy romances. There is undoubtedly strong chemistry between Haverlane & Violet, but the story is more sweet than steamy, and the heat stopped outside the bedroom (pity, I would have liked to have seen Haverlane in action, so to speak!) In addition, I believe in The One True Love, so I was disappointed when Haverlane, who adored his first wife, Anne, constantly agonised over his lost first love (while Violet was there loving him and his daughter!!)

Despite these divergences from my personal tastes, THE LADY’S FATE engaged me with some interesting plot turns, some delightful characters (Prinny and Lady Olivia are favourites!) and a sense of being transported back into the grace and elegance of the Regency era.

THE LADY’S FATE was just what I needed after the dark research reading I’ve been doing lately. I enjoyed it so much I’ve just ordered “A Husband for Miss Trent” by the same author, which I’ll save and read when next I need cheering up.