judycroome

Judy Croome: Author on the Prowl

Healing Grief - A Mothers Story

Healing Grief: A Mother's Story - Rosalie Deer Heart A detailed diary of the first five years after her teenage son's death by electrocution. Published in 1996, includes the emotional process of her personal transformation through dreams and experience.

This was a fascinating and sad read - a personal friend lost 3 husbands in bizarre circumstances within 15 years, and underwent a similar transformation process, and is now a gifted, much sought after psychic healer. So this made for very interesting reading, watching the almost daily shedding of one skin to become something else.

In addition, the practical process of grief was described in detail and this has helped guide me on how I can help my Mom through her own grieving process of losing my Dad after nearly 60 years together.

However, at times, the focus was on the details of the dreams rather than on translating the personal experience of the dream into a universal interpretation. Also, reading it in 2013 from the vantage point of feminism 20 years down the line, makes the strong emphasis on a woman finding her own power within her appear somewhat dated. I had to keep reminding myself of the time context of the diary(from 1977 to 1983).

These minor distractions aside, if the esoteric subject matter interests you or you are seeking understanding of how traumatic experiences can affect you physically and spiritually, you will find this a good read.